OK, Husker fans. I’m a believer now, or more to the point, I’m a believer in Taylor Martinez. Also, I’ve buckled on the Boise State/TCU debate – Boise State may very well be #1 in the BCs rankings released on Sunday night, but the TCU defense is just stifling in a manner in a way that I don’t think Boise State can match. Out of the non-AQ schools, I think that TCU is the best.
Here are this week’s parlay picks (with home teams in CAPS and odds from Bodog via Yahoo!):
- MICHIGAN STATE (-7) over Illinois – Incredible beatdown by Illinois over Penn State last that I didn’t see coming at all. I just wish this week’s game was being played in Champaign. With Michigan State’s defense holding Denard Robinson in check last week and Illinois effectively having a poor man’s version of Michigan’s offense, I don’t think the Illini are coming out of East Lansing with a win. Fortunately, Illinois is going to have a very favorable schedule for the rest of the season and it would be a legitimate disappointment if we don’t make it to a bowl this season (which I wouldn’t have said a month ago, when I didn’t think we’d even have a chance at bowling).
- LOUISVILLE (+3) over Cincinnati – Taking the points with the home team. Nothing more and nothing less.
- Arkansas (+3.5) over AUBURN - I think that LSU is the real deal out of the SEC, but I still have a lot of reservations about Auburn. Arkansas has also been underestimated by Vegas for much of the season.
Frank the Tank’s College Football Parlay Record
Last Week: 1-2
Illini Games for the Season: 2-2
Overall Season: 6-11-1
- Seahawks (+6.5) over BEARS - The Bears shouldn’t be getting anything close to a touchdown spread based on what we’ve seen so far. This will be a win for the Bears since Seattle is hellabad on the road, but the score will also be close enough that Lovie Smith will continue to be the coaching chopping block in the minds of Chicago sports talk radio callers.
- VIKINGS (-1.5) over Cowboys – I can’t tell you how much I’m delighted by Brett Favre falling on his 4-inch sword this week. People that I know that have spent a lot of time around Green Bay have told me plenty of stories of #4′s adulterous womanizing douchebag ways that have been ignored over the past two decades by a media that insists upon pushing the facade of their All-American golden boy. Good for Deadspin (an outlet I’ll always be grateful to for linking to this blog regularly when fellow Illinois alum Will Leitch was running it) for pushing to the forefront a clear incident of sexual harassment in the workplace that the mainstream media that just wants to pass off as a tabloid takedown of a “hero”. (OK, so it might be tabloid takedown, but it’s deserved in this instance.) That being said, I don’t know how the bookmakers continue to give the Cowboys so much credit – that’s a BAAAAAD team. It also took the league’s best secondary to keep the newly formed Favre-Moss combo in check on Monday night and they still were able to connect for big plays late. The Cowboys certainly don’t have anything close to the Jets’ secondary and Minnesota is an extremely tough place to play on the road.
- Raiders (+6.5) over 49ERS – Good thing that Bay Area fans have the Giants in the NLCS to take their minds off of this craptacular metro area football fest.
Frank the Tank’s NFL Football Parlay Record
Last Week: 2-1
Bears Games for the Season: 2-3
Overall Season: 7-8
As always, feel free to use this post as an open thread for the weekend’s games and non-expansion college sports news. If you want to talk about conference realignment in general, please continue the discussion on yesterday’s Through the Wire post. Have a great weekend!